Surgery Tomorrow (04/18/2013 Update)Posted: 04/18/2013
As last reported a few short weeks ago; the Folfiri and Erbitux treatment was extremely effective at reversing tumor activity. The latest CEA test came in at 3.7 (that’s the lowest since testing started). The follow-up MRI (done on Mar 21) was a much better image than the Jan 15 picture and showed that the two larger tumors in the liver had shrunk considerably. Shadows on the earlier MRI (thought to be several smaller tumors) were not visible at the follow-up MRI.
Given these results the Tumor Board recommended 1) removing the two larger tumors as soon as possible and 2) doing an ultrasound on the liver to see if there were/are smaller tumors present (e.g. exploratory surgery).
As soon as possible was determined to April 19 at 9am (tomorrow) and therefore I had to wait several weeks as my body recovered from the effects of the Folfiri and Erbitux chemo treatments. Ah chucks. No chemo? Time to enjoy life!
The last few weeks (sorry for the side bar)
Sarah came for a visit from Boston, We went to a Kid Rock Concert in Saginaw, a Detroit Tiger’s Baseball Game at Comerica Park, The Bob Seger Concert at the Palace of Auburn Hills, Bat Boy The Musical at Wayne State Bonstelle Theatre (Tony’s Play), and a few family dinners at various places in between. Whew, I’m tired just thinking about this nice run we had!
Seriously, I am truly blessed to have had this time with my loved ones. It was truly a gift from above! Thank you Jesus for these fun-filled days with my family and friends!
Oh yah, surgery tomorrow at 9am!
Well, the possible outcomes from the surgery are summarized below:
- Best Case Scenario: The ultrasound only shows the two tumors in the liver and these two tumors are removed with clear margin
- Possible Scenario: The ultrasound shows additional tumors; however, the two larger tumors are surgically removed and the smaller tumors are either surgically removed or destroyed using ablation (e.g. ablation is a process by which the abnormal cells are killed without removing them surgically).
- Worst Case Scenario: The ultrasound shows many smaller tumors scattered throughout the liver. In this scenario the surgery would likely be aborted as removal of the larger tumors would not provide benefit.
5K Walk/Run (scheduled for June 1, 2013)
As mentioned some time ago my friends Colette and Darrick are organizing a group to walk or run in the first annual “Colon Cancer Awareness 5K Run/Walk” in Battle Creek Michigan. I am committed to walk in this event. This will be a milestone in my post-surgery recovery! I would love for as many of you to join Collette, Darrick, and myself in this fund raising opportunity. I think we have about 15 signed up so far.
The event is on Saturday June 1st (9am check in time). And today is the last day for the $25 registration (goes up to $30 tomorrow). Access the link below for more information and for the online registration form.
So much to be thankful for!
Thank you friends and family — For staying up to date on my battle with Cancer; for your prayers as we walk through this valley; for your encouraging words of support; and for your Love! You truly help me keep a positive and hopeful outlook! I do pray that God will shower blessings on each of you!